I got this annoying error when attempting to install Oracle XE:
1608: unable to create InstallDriver instance, return code -2147221164
The fix for this on my PC was:
- Identify your TEMP folder – choose start -> run -> type “cmd”, then type “set temp” in the command window.
- Navigate to this folder in windows. It may well be a hidden folder , so select tools -> folder options -> view -> show hidden files and folders.
- Attempt to install OracleXE again – but this time leave the “1608: unable to create InstallDriver instance, return code -2147221164” error dialog box visible, do not close it by clicking ok. Closing the dialog box will delete the TEMP files which we need for the next step.
- A new folder will have been created under the TEMP folder (press F5 to refresh if necessary). Copy this new folder and all its files to a new location.
- Now it is safe to close the “1608: unable to create InstallDriver instance, return code -2147221164” error dialog box by clicking ok.
- Locate file ISScript11.Msi in the newly copied folder.
- Right click on file ISScript11.Msi and select “Uninstall”
- Right click on file ISScript11.Msi and select “Install”
- Now attempt to install OracleXE again – for me it now ran through to completion.